Friday, November 10, 2006

Trust in Electronic Voting Eroding Faster Than Florida's Beaches

Yes folks, once again Florida leads the nation in eroding public trust in electronic voting systems. Check out the story so far in Sarasota. Lots of familiar themes and players. Zero doubt in my mind that the books were cooked (based on 30 years of experience with fraud, audit, and computer security).

In keeping with what I have blogged elsewhere, I predict the public will never trust electronic voting as much as paper and pencil ballots. And rightly so. I've worked with computers in all manner of situatons, from auditing oil companies with mainframes to building mission critical networks and securing mobile devices. They work quite well for a lot of things but not everything. I just don't see how you can make a trustworthy voting system out of them. So why bother? What is there to be gained?

No comments: