Sunday, October 07, 2012

More Cobbs on Information Security: Selected articles by Stephen & Michael

As you may know from my previous post, my first book on computer security was published in 1992. That led to an invitation to speak at the 1994 Virus Bulletin conference, and in 1996 I was one of the first people to pass the CISSP exam. A few years later, my brother Michael Cobb, became an MCDBA and then a CISSP, and later a CISSP-ISSAP.

Michael, who also writes as Mike Cobb, is also CLAS (stands for the UK's CESG Listed Advisor Scheme--CLAS consultants play a key role in providing Information Assurance advice to government departments and other organisations that provide services for the government.)

Over the year's Mike and I have written and spoken a lot about security. W've taught a lot of security classes, and delivered a host of security and privacy themed seminars, podcasts, and webcasts. Right now I am working up the strength to create a library of links to as many of these as I can find online. But in the meantime, here are 5 recent items from each of us.

Michael's List

Michael Cobb, CISSP Mike/Michael Cobb writes for a variety of publications, including SearchSecurity and Dark Reading. Here are 5 recent articles:
  1. Measuring Risk: A Security Pro's Guide
  2. Evaluating and Choosing Threat Intelligence Tools
  3. When To Outsource Security - And When Not To
  4. How Did They Get In? A Guide To Tracking Down The Source Of An APT 
  5. How To Detect And Defend Against Advanced Persistent Threats 

Stephen's List

I write for the ESET Threat Blog as well as my own blog and SC Magazine's Cybercrime Corner. Here are 4 widely read items and an index of my posts from the ESET blog:
  1. Data security and digital privacy on the road, what travelers should know 
  2. FBI Ransomware: Reveton seeks MoneyPak payment in the name of the law
  3. Malware RATs can steal your data and your money, your privacy too
  4. Privacy and Security in the Consumer Cloud: The not so fine print
  5. Library of Stephen Cobb's articles on the ESET Threat Blog 
I hope you find this material helpful.

No comments: