Friday, October 16, 2020

We interrupt regular programming with this FBI message (Cybersecurity Awareness Month, D16)

Warning from FBI: Potential Charity Fraud Associated with the COVID-19 Pandemic

Sad, but true: "the FBI and other law enforcement agencies have received reports of scammers fraudulently soliciting donations for individuals, groups, and areas affected by COVID-19. They are leveraging the COVID-19 pandemic to steal your money, your personal information, or both."

Yes folks, it is now day 16 of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, 2020, and the scammers are still scamming. Some have even sunk so low that they are taking advantage of a global pandemic that has sickened millions of people. What a sick way to rip people off. 

This particular FBI warning caught my eye as I was surfing the fraud news this morning because it was such a timely reminder that no target is off limits to scammers (you can read the full warning online here).

As you may know if you've been visiting this site recently or if you follow me on Twitter, this year I pledged to write one cybersecurity awareness post for each day of October. Given that there are 31 days in October, I figure day 16 is the midpoint. I also figure it's a good day to pause and thank everyone for sharing the first 15 articles on social media (remember hashtag #BeCyberSmart). All the sharing and awareness raising you can do is much appreciated.

So, I hope you don't mind if today's article is a short one. To be honest, I've been a bit distracted helping a friend who is a worried they might have COVID-19. That's another reason the FBI alert caught my eye. Also, I love this line of actual FBI advice:

The best way to protect yourself is by doing your research. 

Amen to that! I recommend reading the FBI warning and advice and subscribing to future FBI alerts via email using the link on that page. 

Stay safe. #BeCyberSmart

No comments: